Does a director of photography have his own camera.?

Q. First of all I want to start by saying, I'm still in high school, yet when I get out I have dreams of being a film writer and director. I've written several feature length screenplays. And I am saving up money now and I want to shoot a horror film when I get out of highschool. I want the film to be in good enough quality to be shown at film festivals, and possibly have a theatrical release, production companies like it. My first question, is a Panasonic AG-DVX100 a good enough quality camera, to be shown at a film festival, and get a theatrical release(nation wide, I know it's only a dream). As for my second question, what other equipment will I need. And for the third question, if I hire a Director of Photography (I don't want to, yet people tell me I should) will he have his own camera, or will he have to use mine. By the way keep in mind this is going to be pretty low budget. Yet like I said, I have dreams of this being a famous movie, however I know it's only a dream.


Answer
The Panasonic is fine. It shoots in 24P and had a variety of lens attachments. The production company I work with has shot it's last two features on DSLR cameras (A 5D Mk2 and a 7D). The results were really good.

You don't need to hire a DOP if you really understand how to shoot and how to frame a shot. However an experienced DOP can lend a lot of weight to your ability to get a film off the ground. but if you like to, "Run and gun," with your camera a DOP can really slow down the process. Make sure you look at test reels of their work.

A lot of guys who do video work have their own gear, though for most films with an actual budget, we rent our camera and lighting packages.

Nothing wrong with dreams. Start making short films now, you'll learn a lot and if you think they're good, submit them to film festivals. It's never too early to start making contacts.

I'm a produced screenwriter with feature film and TV credits.

Will Canon/Nikon/Sony make APS-C still-cams with HiRes-primary-EVF's (like Pana Lumix G1/GF)?




DIYguy


...hopefully with HD-video, flip-out-LCD's, and lens-mount compatible with existing lens-families?

Or does Panasonic have key patents locked-down, and be unwilling to license to C/N/S?
After first 2 responses (thank you, especially to PhotoAce), I'd like to add:

I find the image quality of G1/GF astonishing for its size.

The image quality of the Lumix G1 is so much better than, for example, the Canon G11 (which is in my estimation neglibly smaller), that Canon should at least *consider* making an APS-C / fixed-lens / EVF version of the G11.

If well-designed, the "G11/APSc" could end-up being bigger than the G1/GF but still hopefully attractively-smaller than the big, heavy DSLR's.

I just find the G1/GF so neat that I want to see it have some competition from C/N/S to "improve the breed".



Answer
One of the reasons that those tiny DSLR's like the G1/GF can exist has to do with the small 4/3rds sensors. With Nikon, Canon and Sony moving toward full frame DSLR's, the chances are the 4/3rds cameras will remain with Olympus, Panasonic and Leica for now (that market is quite small when compared to the current APS-C and full frame DSLR's)

If C/N/S decided to do that, they would have to introduce a whole new line of lenses due to the shallowness of the EVF bodies from shutter to rear of lens. As it is, Canon has a similar problem with all their EF-S lenses. They protrude too far into the camera so they cannot be used with any of the Canon EOS 35 mm or 1D/5D camera bodies.

For more information on the 4/3rds systems, look here

http://43rumors.com/

http://www.4-3system.com/modules/news/

NOTE: One thing you may see happen is pros may start carrying one of these tiny cameras with them, replacing any P&S they may carry now. Many of us keep a P&S handy to shoot location ideas or document lighting setups and other images we don't want nor need to drag out our DSLR to shoot. Having a pocket size, interchangeable lens camera could be handy. For sure, the "street photographers" are going to find these cameras less obtrusive when doing their work.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar