Whats a few affordable lens to purchase for my new Canon Rebel XTI?




Donna T


I purchased the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens
to start as it was affordable and im still learning about which lens do what. BUT want to add a zoom lens, wide angle and macro lens.



Answer
You may not want to hear this, but the most important investment is your lens or lenses. They can last for decades, while you DSLR needs to be replaced every few years, not because they break, but because new technology will make the old camera obsolete.

That said, you would be better off buying a good used Canon lens than a new third-party lens.

For wide angle, look at the Canon 10-20mm lens.
For Macro, the Canon lenses are prime lenses

Question about the "Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens"?




Marcus Smi


I'm a BIG DSLR NOOB and am looking into buying a T3i with a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens. I've seen a lot of test videos on YouTube with this lens. In EVERY video I watch, there would usually be a subject in focus, with EVERYTHING else out of focus. Which isn't what I'm looking for. I want a really nice wide angle lens where everything is in focus. Not just that one subject.

If I get this lens, Will everything but that one subject be out of focus? Or can I change that in the "Depth of Field" setting or something.



Answer
I strongly suggest getting the T3i with the 18-55mm zoom and putting off buying the 50mm f1.8 II prime for a few months. Your first priority is to learn to actually use your new camera and that will take a few months. Start by really reading & studying the Owner's Manual. If you can take a couple of photography classes that would really help you. If classes aren't possible then spend time at these sites:

http://www.digital-photography-school.com
http://www.cambridgeincolor.com
http://www.illustratedphotography.com/photography-tips/basic

You'll also want to begin learning about Depth of Field (DOF) - what it is and how to control it. There are only 3 factors that affect DOF:

1) The focal length of the lens.
2) The aperture (aka f-stop) used.
3) The subject distance.

This site will help you learn about DOF: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

A 50mm lens on your Canon T3i will have the equivalent angle of view of an 80mm lens on a 35mm film camera or a full-frame DSLR like a Canon 5D or 1D. The 50mm lens makes a great portrait lens on your T3i but is a poor choice for wide sweeping landscapes. For that you want the 18mm end of the 18-55mm zoom that comes with the camera. By using the DOF Calculator this is easily proved:

18mm @ f16 focused on a subject at 5'-0'' DOF will be from 2'-1'' to infinity. So anything from 2'-11'' in front of your subject (2'-1'' in front of your camera) to as far as you can see behind your subject - infinity - will be in focus.

50mm @ f16 focused on a subject at 5'-0'' DOF will be from 4'-3'' to 6'-1''. So anything from 0'-9'' in front of your subject (4'-3'' in front of your camera) to anything 1'-1'' behind your subject (6'-1'' in front of your camera) will be in focus.

Now do you have a better understanding of why the 18mm lens is a better choice for landscapes?

One of my landscapes: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drifter45h/3982233634/

If you have more questions email me.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar