Michele
I am interested in moving to a DSLR from the many point-n-shoots I have owned in the past. My father-in-law has offered to sell me his old Pentax equipment. The thing is, the equipment was designed for a Pentax ME Super 35mm and I am concerned with compatibility and ease of use. The lenses are a 135mm, a 200mm, a doubler, a wide angle and a flash. My question is: is it worth it to purchase a Pentax DSLR in order to use the older lenses? From my understanding, there are some issues with using older 35mm lenses on new DSLRs due to the size of the optic sensor vs film. Also, lenses that are that old I doubt have auto-focus. I am very new to DSLR and I just need some direction on a good way to start my venture into DSLR photography. I don't want to start off with a bad combination of equipment especially when I am just learning. Money is also a concern so the answer I am looking for is not "just go buy a Nikon D3X with all the lenses and you'll be good." My "starting" budget is around $700 total and I am open to used/refurbished equipment. Thanks!
Wow,thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it! This has really helped me narrow down my search! Now to decide what color? Unfortunately the K-7 is out of my price range.
Answer
To answer your question.
Those Pentax should work fine on all current Pentax DSLR (KX K-7, etc). Pentax uses the K lens mount which has had only had minor changes in the last 30 years. If for some reason they are are M42 instead of K lenses, you can buy an adapter form Pentax for about $30 and they will work as well. You may have to use then lenses in manual focus.
As far as issues that older lenses have with newer DSLR's, it has to do with the sensor size. Unless you have a full frame camera ( Pentax does not have any), the sensor will be smaller than the size of 35mm film. This means the lens focal distance will be extended by about 1.6. In other words, a 100mm lens will act like a 160mm .This is not necessarily bad, but not ideal.
Now whether or not you should go with Pentax. They make great camera for the beginner. In fact the Pentax Kx won best entry level DSLR .
http://www.tipa.com/english/award-details.php?iId=1768&sAward=Best+DSLR+Entry+Level
For an entry level model, it compares better to semi pro cameras like the Nikon D90 than other entry level model like the Canon XS. As you can probably tell, I am a serious mark for Pentax. This doesn't mean that other cameras aren't good as well.
For that price, $700, you can easily get any number of cameras with two lenses.
My best advise on what to by is very simple. Pick the camera that best suits you. You camera should fit in your hand comfortably ad all the menus and controls should make sense to you. The camera that best meets those requirements is the one for you.
Hope this helps
http://www.tipa.com/english/award-details.php?iId=1768&sAward=Best+DSLR+Entry+Level
To answer your question.
Those Pentax should work fine on all current Pentax DSLR (KX K-7, etc). Pentax uses the K lens mount which has had only had minor changes in the last 30 years. If for some reason they are are M42 instead of K lenses, you can buy an adapter form Pentax for about $30 and they will work as well. You may have to use then lenses in manual focus.
As far as issues that older lenses have with newer DSLR's, it has to do with the sensor size. Unless you have a full frame camera ( Pentax does not have any), the sensor will be smaller than the size of 35mm film. This means the lens focal distance will be extended by about 1.6. In other words, a 100mm lens will act like a 160mm .This is not necessarily bad, but not ideal.
Now whether or not you should go with Pentax. They make great camera for the beginner. In fact the Pentax Kx won best entry level DSLR .
http://www.tipa.com/english/award-details.php?iId=1768&sAward=Best+DSLR+Entry+Level
For an entry level model, it compares better to semi pro cameras like the Nikon D90 than other entry level model like the Canon XS. As you can probably tell, I am a serious mark for Pentax. This doesn't mean that other cameras aren't good as well.
For that price, $700, you can easily get any number of cameras with two lenses.
My best advise on what to by is very simple. Pick the camera that best suits you. You camera should fit in your hand comfortably ad all the menus and controls should make sense to you. The camera that best meets those requirements is the one for you.
Hope this helps
http://www.tipa.com/english/award-details.php?iId=1768&sAward=Best+DSLR+Entry+Level
what do you shoot with....?
photogirl
and why? I'm a cannon freak. i have 5 cameras all cannon, 2 slrs one digital, one film, the powershot (love it) and 2 other older point and shoot cannons i keep in my car and my purse. started with cannon and am a cannon addict!! admission is the first sign of recovery right?!lol- i'll never recover!!
and you?....
Answer
I bought three Canon Digital Rebel SLR's. I gave one to my wife and the other to my granddaughter. I use them for everything from close up detail on objects to landscapes.
I got my wife shooting birds. She hung feeders near the window and has a huge collection of great shots. I bought a 75-300mm IS USM lens. I wanted to get a "L" lens in 400mm but they are WAY too much. So I got a Quantaray 2X DG doubler which takes this to 150-600mm. There is some loss of quality, but not enough to make it not worth the close up. We can get a birds head in full frame which is wonderful. The IS feature (Image Stabilized) is great for hand held shots. I liked it so much I got a 18-55mm in IS as well.
Well I should say I got them, but somehow they are always on her camera when I want them. :- )
~
I bought three Canon Digital Rebel SLR's. I gave one to my wife and the other to my granddaughter. I use them for everything from close up detail on objects to landscapes.
I got my wife shooting birds. She hung feeders near the window and has a huge collection of great shots. I bought a 75-300mm IS USM lens. I wanted to get a "L" lens in 400mm but they are WAY too much. So I got a Quantaray 2X DG doubler which takes this to 150-600mm. There is some loss of quality, but not enough to make it not worth the close up. We can get a birds head in full frame which is wonderful. The IS feature (Image Stabilized) is great for hand held shots. I liked it so much I got a 18-55mm in IS as well.
Well I should say I got them, but somehow they are always on her camera when I want them. :- )
~
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar